HURON COUNTY – The electronic Huron County Wish Book promises to be bigger and better this year, chock full of local gift-giving ideas for the holidays.
The Wish Book is expected to launch on ontarioswestcoast.ca the week of Nov. 8, with more than 500 items from retailers, service providers and restaurants in local communities throughout the County. It demonstrates the value of shopping locally not just to save money but as the most convenient choice to avoid crowded malls, unexpected delivery delays from online retailers and making unnecessary trips out of town.
The campaign is complemented by a branded social media campaign called You Gotta Stop Here, highlighting items from the Wish Book and events going on in local communities, to give shoppers even more reasons to plan a shopping getaway.
“As a first step, we’re inviting local businesses to offer up a photos and description that may drive traffic to their front door,” said Heather Boa, Operations Manager, Huron Chamber of Commerce – Goderich, Central and North Huron.
Businesses are invited to:
- Pick items unique in your community. Items that people can’t get anywhere else and would drive 30-40 minutes to get as the perfect gift.
- Consider items that are trending this holiday season so people know that they can get them here.
- Emphasize items on your list that are easy to get and in-stock locally to minimize the convenience argument.
- Don’t forget about gift certificates for local services, hospitality and goods e.g. spa treatments, dinner at local restaurant, local beer & wine, specialty foods grown & produced locally, etc.
- Select a range of items that could represent the people on typical gift lists e.g. Mom, Dad, Children, Siblings, Friends, Teacher, Pets an Extended Family.
- Take a photo of the item. If it’s a gift certificate, take a photo that appeals to the shoppers’ imagination: your signature dish, a client receiving a spa treatment, your line or wines or beer, or even a free stock image from a website like Unsplash.
- Provide your local BIA or chamber office with information on your product, including: Product name, 10-word description, price.
- Provide your local BIA or chamber office with information on your outlet, including: Outlet name, address, website, phone number.
Dates to remember:
Friday, October 29 – Deadline for submission of photos & writeup
Week of November 8 – Wish Book Launch on ontarioswestcoast.ca
Week of November 8 until Dec. 24 – You Gotta Stop Here social media campaign launch
The Ontario Shop Local program was launched by the Ontario Chamber of Commerce, with the support of the Government of Canada, to help stimulate Canada’s economic recovery, by encouraging consumers to shop at local businesses. The campaign brings together people and business leaders, chambers of commerce/boards of trade, not-for profits, municipalities and other stakeholders to create and implement shop local initiatives.
This regional program is led by Huron Chamber of Commerce – Goderich, Central and North Huron in partnership with the County of Huron, Blyth BIA, Central Huron BIA, Community Futures Huron, Bayfield and Area Chamber of Commerce, Exeter BIA, Goderich BIA, Seaforth BIA, Municipality of Bluewater, South Huron Chamber of Commerce, Town of Goderich, Wingham BIA, and Zurich District Chamber of Commerce.
Credit for photo: Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash
For more information, contact:
Operations Manager, Huron Chamber of Commerce – Goderich, Central and North Huron
Contact your local BIA or Chamber of Commerce office